Thursday, September 6, 2012

Horsing Around on the Beach

Hey, there's another trailer out here. More friends
Getting horses to play on the beach is easy when there are friends around. Riding in the sand is no problem, just heavy work.

Oxnard beach power plant
Oxnard beach at Fifth Street is still open to horses. The fencing along it protects nesting sea birds.

Checking the surf
It's time to play in the surf. Always expect the unexpected on a horse's first run on the beach. It's wise to dismount, under these brand new conditions.

I trust you. I just don't trust attack waves
When Shay hit the surf, she bounced away in the wrong direction ending up chest deep in the waves. She bounced again and decided to stand still.
Nooooo!
Regaining a hold on the reins (which I dropped when she exploded), I led her back to visit with Rhett, her best friend.
Don't leave me Rhett

Shay discovered solid ground under those waves. Not so bad after all, huh? K, Let's play in the surf.

Splish - Splash; but don't drink the water

A couple more visits and we'll be able to ride right into the water. I'll still wear my chaps for traction. I don't doubt Shay will love running in the surf soon enough.

 
Salt and sand finish and two very tired horses. Shall we do it again; have another day at the beach? 

No comments:

Post a Comment