Thursday, April 9, 2015

Gottlob Frey, according to the record, was born September 8, 1916.  Family photos of him show a handsome accomplished teacher, a soldier, and a brother to Fanny, Max, and Herbert Frey.  The Frey's own Hotel Hetschelhof in Enzkloesterle, Black Forest. Just south of Pforzheim, this quiet German valley touts curative hot springs which once brought ailing tourists in droves. West of the noisier more traveled autobahn lanes, Enzkloesterle remains a casual retreat that attracts nature lovers.
The Hetschelhof itself has a long history dating from the late 1700's. The family ownership of the land traces back to the mid 1500's. The family was and still is politically active. Their service to the king won them a family crest.  

Apparently a member of the family who had immigrated to America produced an accurate record of the Frey family history. My first meeting with family was true to Mutti’s often devious ways. I had visited Europe on a 21 day excursion upon my first vacation from work. Mutti was already in Germany and offered to show me around. I’d asked to visit my father’s family. She wanted nothing to do with them. I insisted that Father’s family was my family even though it wasn’t hers. She brought me to Hetschelhof. We sat enjoying lunch at the extant hotel dining room. Uncle Herbert, unaware of our origin joined us American newcomers. It didn’t take him long to realize we were more than just passing tourists.  Uncle Herbert kept staring at us long and hard.  His furrowed brow eased into recognition, “I know who you are . . .” he said.  Genes don’t lie, even without DNA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment