Monday, March 19, 2012

Ground Work



Yesterday my husband happily hummed a tune as he raked the field by the horses. Shay hung over his shoulders. She’s a typically friendly Arabian. I had mentioned to him many times, “Don’t let her get too close.” Oblivious to my warning, he just kept raking. Seconds later she nipped his arm. “Hey! She bit me,” he howled, tossing the rake at her and chasing her around the yard till she was tired and sorry for her bad behavior. 

Allowing a horse to hang over your shoulder is dangerous. George Ferrante, a cutting horse trainer I’d hired to start Shay insists, “Horses should never invade your space.” We were standing next to the round pen that Shay had been put in, Curious as always she ambled toward us. Ferrante promptly whacked Shay across the nose with his hat to force her away from the fencing. At the time, I thought he was being mean. Now, I know better. My husband learned this lesson the hard way. Was it Shay’s fault that she bit him? I don’t think so. She was just being a horse and doing a horse thing.

Unlike household pets, horses are wild and tend to stay that way if not handled consistently, put to work frequently, and corrected for bad behavior. Always approach your horse like the lead mare of a herd, ready to correct, to train, and to reward. Above all, be aware of your surroundings and where your horse is at any given time. If you’re not paying attention when you’re near a stall, you could get head slammed by a horse when you least expect it. Watch your horse’s body language. It tells of impending danger, because horses can sense things well before humans can see them.

Many pointers on horse management have been suggested by professional trainers. I wouldn’t drive a car without taking driving lessons. Neither would I handle an animal as weighty and volatile as a horse unless I learn proper horse handling. Professionals will share a wealth of information and enable the kind of self confidence necessary for good horsemanship. Most of all, they will keep you alive. I knew very little about the horses I brought home and became frightened by their power and explosiveness. After several mishaps that could have killed me, I enlisted a professional. I kept eyes and ears open to learn everything I could. The knowledge I’ve gained has turned me into a safer handler and has helped me develop a calm relationship with Shay. 

Ground work, as this chapter title implies, refers to working the horse from the ground. There are simple things you can do to prepare your horse for unexpected events. Since you will likely be the person leading your horse from the stall and preparing it for the ride, you should know some basic ground practices that make your horse your friend.

Attitude plays a major role in horse handling. If you are not ready to expend a lot of patience, you will not succeed in teaching your horse good manners nor will you be able to handle your animal safely. Be consistent when working with your horse. That two year old mind is no different than a toddler’s. When a toddler heads for the electrical outlet, one “No!” never suffices. The lesson must be repeated over and over.

Likewise with your horse; each lesson must be repeated consistently, preferably daily. For example, my horses willingly stampede up the hill to the stall when hay is put in their bins. Though there’s no harm in allowing horses such liberty (as long as you’re standing out of harm’s way), haltering them and walking them up enables calm leadership. Such consistent training is called ground work and it gives a horse confidence in your leadership.

Ground work most often means working a horse inside a round pen or ring where walls or coral panels prevent a horse from bolting. Doing this spells safety for both you and your horse.

More horse information will follow next  month.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for the gal in you picture. Thank you for giving her a moment of happiness in her hard and sad life. I'm sure she will remember it always as she grieves for her child.

    ReplyDelete