Monday, June 4, 2012

Daddy


I take care of my Daddy. He’s not well, and I help him a lot. I’ve fixed things to make it easier for him to get around. He doesn’t see very well, and I move things out of his way so he wont stumble. I love him so much.
Daddy depends on me a lot. When Mom left, he was heartbroken, but he has me.
Daddy started to smile again when he saw how I can take care of things around the house. I scrub floors. I water the garden. I even cook him his favorite chicken soup.
Lately, he needs me to lead him to the table to help him sit down, or to bring him to his bed when he goes to sleep. He’s on disability, so I can get him his medicines and keep his favorite snacks in the refrigerator.
Sometimes I get glum, though. Daddy doesn’t see me work so hard for him. He doesn’t thank me that things are in order, because he just can’t see anymore.
He’s glad I have dark hair, because he can just barely tell when I’m close to him. I wish he could see how sparkly the house looks. I wish he could see how pretty the garden has become. I wish he could see me smile at him because I love him so much.
I’m not sure he knows how hard I work to make things nice for him.
“Katje,” Daddy’s is calling me.
“I’m here,” I answer and touch his hand so he knows I’m near.
“It smells so green today,” He says.
"I opened the window to let the sun in," I say. I didn’t think he’d notice I just cut the grass this morning, because he can’t see.
“Katje, did you mow the lawn?” he squeezes my hand and a smile creeps across his face.
I bend down to hug him and whisper in his ear, “For you Daddy; so you can see the garden with your nose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment