Friday, June 1, 2012

Warming up for Venus


The most delightful activity of my RTMC visit was hauling out my 10 x 50 binocular and viewing Venus in preparation for the transit. Since I had bought solar filters for the  binocular, I thought to create my own telescope filter for the transit.

The man did exactly what I’m planning to do. He used his telescope cover to create an offset filter for viewing the transit. His one complaint was about how difficult it is to find the sun this way. I could possibly use the second binocular filter (since I bought two) to cover the finder scope and make finding the sun a little easier. Likewise if I polar align and track the sun, I should be able to follow the transit through the telescope. Then I could take the second filter off the finder scope so I can use it for my camera.

The astroguyz also give offset solar filter making instructions. They reiterate how important it is to be sure nooooooo light gets through any part of your homemade filter.

Since the Venus transit won’t occur again for another 113 years, this is the time to make sure you don’t miss the event. I’ll certainly be out looking, whether I get the C-8 covered or not, since I have binocular protection.

I’ve been told my 10 x 50 binoculars will do the job. If taking a photo through the binoculars is the only way I’ll get a picture of the event, I’ll do it. The eclipse picture through it was interesting, what with its round framework of concentric circles of glass.
Through the Looking Glass--revisited (see last week's entry)

 As you can see, the  image is definitely overexposed, but at least I did get a shot of the eclipse through the binocular, with my i-phone, no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment