Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Composer and God


Composer Ara Sevanian grew up with strong religious ties. Hence, much of his music is based on church music. In his memoir he writes: 

 Armenia is a very religious country.  I owe my belief in God to my cultural beginnings.  My parents were involved with the church. Every year my father would buy a lamb as an offering to bring down God’s blessing on the family.  I used to watch him bring it to the priest for sacrifice.  After father killed it, he cooked the lamb and served it to the poor.  I don’t think I could kill an animal like that, but it taught me the importance of giving back to God. Instead of a lamb, I give my music.  
USC Donation



One of the lovely symphonic pieces Sevanian wrote is called “Three Sharakans”. It is music derived from the Psalms. It can be viewed or borrowed from the music library at USC along with his nine symphonies and many other chamber pieces. Since the composer made multiple copies of his works, his music is also available from the San Lazzarro, Italy Armenian Archive. 
San Lazaarro, Italy

 The composer has given his life of music to God and to his audience.

1 comment: