Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kanon, cont'd--How to Write a Memoir


 
When Composer Ara Sevanian called me to ask, “Will you write my biography?” I had no idea how to produce another person’s memoir. However, I took on the task because Ara Sevanian gave the world music that bridges eastern and western classical music constructions. He deserves a hearing.  
My UCLA teachers assured me it was a great honor that a world class musician had made the request but warned, “First book takes ten years.” I must agree.
Here are things I learned while producing, “Kanon, the Life of Composer Ara Sevanian.”

1.     Read other memoirs, in my case, of musicians. (Hours and hours of reading).
2.     If you aren’t qualified, get help from someone who is. (Thank you, Dr. Cole)
3.     A good title might be the first that comes up. (By the last chapter, I was sure.)
4.     Interviews must be transcribed and organized. (Hours and hours of work).
5.     Outline, outline, outline! It’s essential. (I hate outlining).
6.     Find your voice. (I employed two voices; his and mine)
7.     Check source for accuracy, even on memoirs. (Hours and hours of research.)
8.     Check text for accuracy. (Edit, edit, edit; employ a qualified editor).
9.     Share manuscript with friends. (They correct your thought process).
10.  Prepare to spend money. (Recorder, computer, paper, ink, gasoline, trips . . .)
11.   Send proposals to mainstream publishers. (Hours and hours writing queries).
12.   Ignore rejections; they aren’t a reflection on your ability. (Never give up).
13.  If necessary, self-publish. (Many great authors have self-published).

And so I spent more money to create my own publishing company, pay for book production including cover art, and organize book signings. Ten years running, I still send queries to editors and agents. Although the book has self-published under Shareage Press, I still believe in mainstream publishers. They have the audience and the knowhow. Sadly, my next title should be The Death of a Composer.

1 comment:

  1. You should probably link "Shareage Press" website :)....Also, I think timing has something to do with it. The modern generation is not interested in a composer from Armenia. His memoir probably should have been written when he was out with Khachaturian during his 'heydey', not when he was a guy flipping burgers
    BTW, check out Wikepedia...His son Alex, somehow got a page, but Ara certainly doesn't. His son was a Pharmacologist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Sevanian

    ReplyDelete