Thursday, February 23, 2012

Retired


Can't thread the needles anymore
Don’t hear the knocking on the door
I stumble over steps and stones
And feel arthritis in my bones
My joints and muscles are so sore
While overall my memory’s poor
I grouch about my failing health
And then, of course, too little wealth
The dog is gone, the kids are too
The empty nest makes me feel blue
I bought the camper just in case
I need to move out of this place.
Been there, done that, don’t want to go
Around the world to find new snow.
Send Christmas letters every year;
When some come back, I shed a tear.
I’m crabby as I sit and fret
About the ever growing debt

And then the kids come rescue me
I’ll wine, and dine, and concert free
They bring my grandkids over too
To take away the color blue  
The piglet whistles full of glee
And sun shines in my heart, cloud free
  

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem...my favorite thus far.

    BTW, Reggie's under belly, try to hose down with vinegar, should help him with the biting flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look back at all the wonderful things of your repast because retirement is about reminiscing the past.

    ReplyDelete